Monday, April 20, 2009

Married life

So, I like most wives believe that I have the most amazing husband in the world. Every morning and I mean EVERY morning he wakes up with the boys and lets me sleep. He gets the boys ready for school, fixes their breakfast and packs their lunch then sends them to me so I can do their hair (with Joe not having hair, he has no clue in this area). Then if I want I am able to go back to sleep. During the first trimester of my pregnancy I was absolutely miserable and he did it all. He helps so much around the house and with the boys. I know I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful man to call my husband and the father of my children. But as I reflect on my marriage (which isn't perfect by any means) I am reminded of other marriages...marriages that have failed due to adultery, abuse and financial reasons. I know many couples that have gone through difficult times in their marriage, some of which worked through their problems and others that just called it quits. When I said my vows, I truly meant till death do we part. Joe and I was able to attend a beautiful wedding this past weekend. My friend Laura married an amazing man, Jarred. This is not Laura's first marriage. She was married to another amazing man, Shawn, but sadly Shawn was taken home to be with the Lord after a very serious motorcycle accident. To see my friend, who is just a couple years younger than I am go through this was so difficult for me. It really reminded me to cherish every day with the ones I love, especially my husband. Laura met Jarred a while later and like I said, was married to him this past weekend. But I think of Laura and how much her first vows meant to her and what an example she led throughout their marriage. She knows first hand what the words "till death do we part" truly mean. I am so happy for her and Jarred. However, I think of other marriages. The ones where "things just didn't work out so we ended it." I mean I understand if abuse and adultery is involved but to end a marriage over differences....I'm just not sure. I don't believe in divorce unless it's because of adultery or abuse (physical, mental or emotional.) I remember hearing someone say "My first husband I want to look like this but my second husband I want to look like that." She was already preparing herself for a failed marriage. HOW? Joe was not the man I ever imagined myself with. He was my best friend. He was the guy that I told things to and would give me advice and that was it...until I realized that he was EVERYTHING I ever wanted and so much more. I am so blessed and so thankful to have Joe. He amazes me everyday. He promised me when we first got engaged that he would always take care of me and he has never went back on his word. I cannot imagine my life without him. To sit here and think of all the people we know that are in the midst of divorce. Joe and I are not another statistic. I hope that we all realize how serious wedding vows are. I know people who have gone through the worst circumstances possible and are more in love now than ever before and those people truly amaze me. When they had every right and every reason to let go, they stuck it out and gave it their all. I'm not sure why I wanted to write about all this but it's just been weighing so heavily on my heart the past couple of weeks. My ultimate goal in life is to become a Christian marriage therapist. I want to help people better their marriage rather than end it. I have such a passion for marriage and keeping God's commands for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment